The role of an Associate to a Senior Member
The role of an Associate to a Senior Member is unique and involves a close working relationship between the Senior Member and the Associate. The role provides an invaluable opportunity to gain insights into tribunal processes and, more broadly, to develop relevant professional skills.
The Associates in the tribunal also work at a team and are expected to assist each other should that be required.
Some of the main duties of an Associate include:
- conducting legal research at direction of the Senior Member
- liaising with tribunal members and adjudicators, registry staff, the legal profession, government departments as well as community and professional groups
- ensuring the effective and efficient conduct of the Senior Member’s lists
- attending to correspondence as directed by the Senior Member.
A position as an Associate is a rare opportunity to gain insight into the tribunal processes behind the scenes.
Associates are generally appointed for one year. You are encouraged to apply if you will have completed a law degree by the time you would be due to commence as an Associate, or on track to complete during your Associateship.
Full information about the duties of an Associate to a Senior Member can be found in the role description .
There are five (5) positions of Associate to a Senior Member available for 12 months from 8 January 2024.
Applications will close Wednesday 22 November 2023 at 5:00pm.
How to apply
You will need to provide the following documents:
- Completed Application Form
- Covering letter (1 page maximum);
- Curriculum Vitae outlining your academic and other achievements, employment history and the names of two referees (5 pages maximum); and
- Certified copy of your academic transcript.
Letters of reference are not necessary but may be included.
Important information for applicants
Your application must be bundled as one PDF document and must not exceed 5 MB. To do this, documents may be scanned as .pdf documents or converted using Microsoft Word, Nuance or equivalent software. Multiple documents are not accepted.
You may use the online application form to apply to a specific Senior Member.
If you wish to do this, you must:
- specify which Senior Member you are applying to on the Application form ; and
- provide a covering letter addressed to that specific Senior Member.
Online applications will be made available to Senior Members as soon as practicable after they are submitted.
Applicants may be contacted to arrange an interview. Applicants who gain an interview will be advised of the outcome.
Prospective appointees will be required to complete a confidential questionnaire in order to confirm their suitability for appointment.
Should you wish to withdraw your application, please send an email to email@example.com.
Emailed applications are preferred.
Please email your completed application and supporting documents in one bundle to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please post your hardcopy application, addressed to:
"[Senior Member] ____
c/- Principal Project Officer, Corporate Services
Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal
GPO Box 1639
Brisbane QLD 4001."
If posting your application, please ensure you allow sufficient time for the application to be received by QCAT before applications close. Late applications may not be accepted.
For all other technical queries, please contact email@example.com.