Other case types not listed

QCAT considers a large variety of case types. There are some case types that are not listed on the website. Find out what to do if your case type is not listed and how to apply.

QCAT reviews a wide range of cases that are not listed in detail on the website, considering cases under more than 100 enabling acts. If your case type is not listed on the website you have a number of options available to you to make an application.

If you are seeking to review certain decisions not listed on the website such as decisions about:

  • Introduction agents – (QCAT is able to review decisions made by the Chief Executive)
  • Civil partnerships – (QCAT is able to review decisions made by the Chief Executive)
  • Valuers – (QCAT is able to review decisions made by the Valuers Registration Board)
  • Electrical licensing – (QCAT is able to review decisions made by the Electrical Licensing Committee)
  • Other case types – (A complete list of applicable legislation under which you can bring a reviewable decision to QCAT is available in our rules and legislation list)

You can access information on the process to review government agency decisions here.

You can access information on the process to review disciplinary decisions relating to your profession here.

If you are seeking to make an application about other case types not listed on the website such as:

  • Sanctuary cove disputes – (QCAT hears disputes about sanctuary cove cases including the transfer of a letting agent’s management rights)
  • Integrated development resort management – (QCAT hears disputes about integrated resort development cases including the transfer of a letting agent’s management rights)

You can follow the process below outlining how to make an application when there is no applicable form.

How to make an application or referral if there is not a form?

If there isn't a form for your case type, you can write a letter to QCAT, being sure to include:

  • your name and contact details
  • the name and contact details of any other party or legal or other relevant representative
  • the type of application or referral you're making and the reasons for it
  • relevant legislative references, i.e. the provision of the Act or enabling Act under which your application or referral is being made
  • the decision you are seeking from QCAT
  • You must then sign the letter
  • Your letter can be posted to, or submitted in person at, QCAT. See the contact us page.

More information is set out in rule 10 of the Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal Rules 2009.

Help and further information

QCAT registry staff cannot give you legal advice in civil cases and are not involved in QCAT decision making.

For legal advice

For assistance in legal proceedings

LawRight Court and QCAT Services

LawRight is an independent, non-profit community based legal organisation that coordinates pro bono legal services for individuals and community groups. Parties with proceedings in QCAT may be able to obtain assistance from LawRight’s Court and QCAT Services to self-represent or, in limited circumstances, be given representation.

If you are unsure whether you are eligible for assistance from LawRight, or wish to make an enquiry, contact the service by phone on 07 3564 7561 or by email at qcat.cts@lawright.org.au or by writing to PO Box 12217, George Street QLD 4003.

To apply for help from LawRight, please complete an application form. If you are unable to complete the online form, contact LawRight to discuss alternative arrangements.

Community legal centres

Caxton Legal Centre
The Caxton Legal Centre is an independent, non-profit community organisation providing free legal and social work advice, assistance and referrals to the general public. Please note that the Caxton Legal Centre does not provide advice about building or other business and commercial disputes.

Women's Legal Service
Women's Legal Service is a community legal centre that provides free legal advice and information to women in Queensland.

Youth Advocacy Centre
The Youth Advocacy Centre offers free confidential legal and welfare assistance to young people under 17 years who live in or around Brisbane. Telephone support is also provided to young people outside of Brisbane and throughout Queensland.

The Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal (QCAT)’s registry is here to administer your case and provide general information. Please see below what registry staff can and cannot do to assist with your case.

Registry staff can:

* answer questions about QCAT processes

* provide information about QCAT’s different types of forms that are available for your consideration

* provide you with information and support about how to lodge an application

* refer and/or process any request to access the QCAT register of proceedings (a publicly available list of QCAT cases) or the record of proceedings (the case files themselves)

* advise on fees and allowances, and how to apply for a waiver of fees

* guide you in checking your forms are complete before lodgement (e.g. signed in the correct places)

* give you information on legal organisations that could help.

Registry staff cannot:

* provide legal advice

* advise on whether you should submit an application and whether you are filing under the correct legal area (eg minor civil dispute – consumer or trader or minor civil dispute – minor debt)

* tell you if you should lodge an appeal or a counter-application

* recommend a specific lawyer to assist you

* instruct you on how to word your application, supporting documents or what to say at a proceeding

* contact a QCAT member or adjudicator directly on your behalf

* predict likely outcomes of a case or appeal

* help you prepare your case

* advise what orders or decisions you should seek

* explain what you should do to follow QCAT directions

* recommend your next steps regarding enforcing an order or tribunal decision

* advise on exact timeframes for resolution of a case – this depends on your individual case