Legal advice and representation

All parties involved in a matter before QCAT must represent themselves. Whether you are represented or not you can still seek legal advice about your rights.

QCAT registry staff cannot give you legal advice and are not involved in the decision-making of the Tribunal.

All parties involved in a matter before QCAT must represent themselves. Whether you are represented or not you can still seek legal advice about your rights.

In some cases, a party is automatically able to be represented. QCAT will always agree to representation:

  • for a child or a person with impaired capacity, or
  • if the matter relates to disciplinary proceedings including a review of a disciplinary decision
  • if the enabling Act related to the matter allows it.

All other parties must apply to QCAT if they want to be represented. QCAT may agree to a party being represented if:

  • the party is a state agency
  • the proceeding is likely to involve complex questions of fact or law
  • another party is being represented
  • all of the parties have agreed to the party being legally represented.

You can either be represented by a solicitor or someone else who acts on your behalf, for example an advocate for a person with impaired capacity.

To apply for representation, you can complete and lodge an Application for leave to be represented online. Completing this form online will save you time and you won't need to lodge a hard copy.

OR you can complete Form 56 - Application for leave to be represented (PDF, 729.8 KB).

You can seek legal advice about your rights from a Legal Aid Queensland or private solicitor. Access Queensland Law Society's Find a Solicitor service.

LawRight Court and Tribunal Services

Parties with proceedings in QCAT may be able to obtain assistance from LawRight’s Court & Tribunal Services to self-represent or in limited circumstances, be given representation.

LawRight is an independent, non-profit community based legal organisation that coordinates pro bono legal services for individuals and community groups.

LawRight offers appointments with solicitors who provide advice and assistance with the legal tasks necessary to progress tribunal proceedings.

LawRight helps people who are involved in, or who are considering commencing legal proceedings in the following QCAT areas:

  • Reviews of administrative decisions e.g. Blue Card, Disability Worker Screening, Child Safety, Victims Assist, SPER, AHPRA
  • Guardianship and administration
  • Minor civil disputes e.g. minor debt matters
  • Anti-discrimination
  • Right to information and information privacy
  • Occupational regulation (health practitioners only)
  • Appeals and reopenings

If you are unsure if you are eligible for assistance from LawRight or wish to make an enquiry, contact the service by phone on 07 3564 7561 or by email at or by writing to PO Box 12217, George Street QLD 4003.

To apply for help from LawRight, please complete the application form here. If you are unable to complete the online form, contact LawRight to discuss alternative arrangements

Community legal centres

A complete list of community legal centres in Queensland is available from Community Legal Centres Queensland, the peak body representing funded and unfunded centres across the state.

You can also inquire about legal advice from these community legal centres.

ADA Law is a community legal centre that assists people with cognitive impairments, or questioned capacity, when they are seeking to make new applications; review, change or revoke QCAT appointed decision makers; or make Enduring Powers of Attorney and Advance Health Directives. They provide free legal advice, advocacy and representation.

Caxton Legal Centre
The Caxton Legal Centre is an independent, non-profit community organisation providing free legal and social work advice, assistance and referrals to the general public. Please note that the Caxton Legal Centre does not provide advice about building or other business and commercial disputes.

The centre’s Queensland Retirement Village and Park Advice Service (QRVPAS) provides information focusing on legal issues in manufactured home parks and retirement villages.

Queensland Advocacy for Inclusion
Queensland Advocacy for Inclusion is an independent, community based systems and legal advocacy organisation for people with disability in Queensland

If you are an enforcement debtor (ie, you are the party stated as owing money), and you need to attend an enforcement hearing at the Brisbane Magistrates Court, you may be eligible for free legal representation from the LawRight Enforcement Hearing Duty Lawyer Service.

Seniors’ Legal and Support Service
The Seniors’ Legal and Support Service offers free support for Queensland seniors concerned about elder abuse and financial exploitation.

Tenants Queensland
Tenants Queensland is a specialist statewide community legal service for tenancy law matters and provides a free tenancy law advice service for residential tenants.

Women's Legal Service
Women's Legal Service is a community legal centre that provides free legal advice and information to women in Queensland.

Youth Advocacy Centre
The Youth Advocacy Centre offers free confidential legal and welfare assistance to young people under 17 years who live in or around Brisbane. Telephone support is also provided to young people outside of Brisbane and throughout Queensland.

Back to top

Community organisations

You can also inquire about legal help from these community organisations.

Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Legal Service (Qld) Ltd
The Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Legal Service (Qld) Ltd provides legal services for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people across Queensland.

Aged and Disability Advocacy Australia
Aged and Disability Advocacy Australia (ADA Australia) is a not-for-profit, independent, community based advocacy and education service that supports and improves the wellbeing of older people and people with disability. ADA Australia can provide advocacy support to the person for their guardianship or administration hearings.

Carers Queensland
Carers Queensland is the peak body that represents the interests of carers in Queensland. Their Family Support and Advocacy program provides free support, information, advice and representation for adult guardianship and administration matters.

Elder Abuse Prevention Unit
The Elder Abuse Prevention Unit operates under UnitingCare Queensland and receives funding from the Department of Seniors, Disability Services and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Partnerships. It promotes the right of older people to live free from abuse and provides a telephone information, referral and support service.

Back to top