Overhanging branches

From 1 November 2011 the Neighbourhood Disputes Resolution Act 2011 provides new options for dealing with minor overhanging branches between neighbouring properties.

The Queensland Government has an online step-by-step guide to resolving tree disputes.

If you have tried talking to your neighbour but the matter remains unresolved, you can provide them with a notice to remove particular branches.

If you are unable to resolve a dispute about payment for the cutting and removal of overhanging branches, you may apply to QCAT to recover up to $300 as a minor debt dispute.

If your matter is a minor debt, you can save time and complete a minor debt application (form 3) and pay online. You will still need to lodge a copy of your application at a QCAT registry.