Minor civil disputes - QCAT Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal

Skip links and keyboard navigation

Minor civil disputes

Minor civil disputes

What is a minor civil dispute?

Minor civil disputes are disputes between individuals, and individuals and a trader, business or company valued up to and including $25,000. QCAT decides the following minor civil disputes:

  • property damage disputes including damage to a house, or a car from a motor vehicle accident, up to and including $25,000
  • debt disputes related to a fixed and agreed sums of money, valued up to and including $25,000
  • consumer and trader disputes arising out of a contract for the supply of goods and services, valued up to and including $25,000, or repair of a defect in a motor vehicle which is under a statutory warranty, if the previous owner refuses to carry out the repair, or if it is repaired and the repair is unreliable, valued up to and including $25,000
  • residential tenancy disputes between tenants and landlords, or, in limited circumstances, between co-tenants about apportionment of rental bonds.

Descriptions of QCAT's jurisdiction on this website are general information only. They do not definitively describe the types of applications on which QCAT can make decisions. The relevant legislation determines QCAT's jurisdiction. If you are unsure about your legal rights, you should seek legal advice. Your individual circumstances should guide any actions taken to resolve your dispute.

We cannot provide legal advice

As part of an independent tribunal, QCAT registry staff cannot provide legal advice.

Registry staff can explain and answer questions about how QCAT works and its processes.

Registry staff cannot help with:

* whether or not you should submit an application
* whether your application is under the correct jurisdiction
* if you should lodge an appeal or a counter-application
* recommending a specific lawyer to assist you
* how to word your application, supporting documents or what to say at a proceeding
* contacting a QCAT member or adjudicator directly
* predicting likely outcomes of a case or appeal
* helping you to prepare your case
* advising what orders/decisions you should seek
* explaining what you should do to follow QCAT directions
* enforcing an order or decision of the tribunal
* advising exact timeframes for resolution of a matter – this depends on your individual matter.

Your input is welcome

We welcome your input on tribunal information and services. To do so, you can fill out our feedback form or email enquiries@qcat.qld.gov.au.

Last reviewed
12 June 2018
Last updated
12 June 2018

Rate this page

  1. How useful was the information on this page?