Form 12 - Application process - Join as an active party

1. What you need to know

Who is an active party?

Each of the following persons is an active party:

  • the Adult (the person who the application is about);
  • if the Adult is not the applicant – the applicant;
  • if the proceeding is for the appointment or the reappointment of a guardian, administrator or attorney for the Adult – the person proposed for appointment or reappointment;
  • any current guardian, administrator or attorney for the Adult;
  • the Public Guardian;
  • the Public Trustee of Queensland;
  • a person joined as a party to the proceeding by the Tribunal.

In proceedings about restrictive practices, the active parties might also include:

  • the chief executive (disability services);
  • in particular circumstances, the Chief Psychiatrist;
  • in particular circumstances, the director of forensic disability;
  • a service provider providing disability services to the Adult.
What rights does an active party have?

Active parties may present their case at a hearing, inspect or copy documents, apply for leave (permission) to be represented.

How to make an application to be joined as an active party?

The Tribunal may make a decision that a person be joined as a party to the proceeding.  If you want to apply for this you must complete and lodge a Form 12 and provide details in Part C of the form about why you should be joined.  You must clearly explain your reasons for seeking the order.

2. Complete and lodge this form:

To apply you must complete and lodge:

Form 12 - Application for miscellaneous matters - Guardianship and Administration Act 2000

This form is to be completed relating to an application for miscellaneous matters – Guardianship and Administration Act 2000.

PDF File (1.4 MB)

3. How to lodge your application
In person

Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal
Floor 11, 259 Queen Street
Brisbane Qld 4000

or at any local Magistrates Court

Mail to

Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal
GPO Box 1639
Brisbane Qld 4001

4. What happens next?

Find out what happens after you apply.