1.  How to apply

If you need to have an order that was made in another State or under a foreign jurisdiction recognised, so it is effective in Queensland, you must lodge this application to QCAT.

The Tribunal may register the order so long as it is similar to an order that may be made under Queensland’s Guardianship and Administration Act 2000 or the Powers of Attorney Act 1998 provided the order was made under the legislation listed in schedule 1 of the Guardianship and Administration Regulation 2012. If you are unsure about this please contact the Tribunal registry.

2. Complete and lodge these forms:

To apply you must complete and lodge the following Form 12 and attach:

- a certified copy of the original order that you want recognised in Queensland and any other relevant material which the originating court or Tribunal relied upon in making its decision

- report/s completed by a health professional such as a geriatrician, psychiatrist, psychologist, or general practitioner giving details of the Adult's capacity for decision-making.

- attach copies of any relevant forms, e.g. enduring power of attorney or advance health directive.

Form 12 - Application for miscellaneous matters - Guardianship and Administration Act 2000

This form is to be completed relating to an application for miscellaneous matters – Guardianship and Administration Act 2000.

PDF File (1.4 MB)

3. How to lodge your application

In person

Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal
Floor 11, 259 Queen Street
Brisbane Qld 4000

or at any local Magistrates Court

Mail to

Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal
GPO Box 1639
Brisbane Qld 4001

4. What happens next?

Find out what happens after you apply.