1. Consider whether you should contact the Public Guardian

Before making an application to QCAT, please consider whether the Office of the Public Guardian is the more appropriate avenue for achieving the outcome you seek.  The Office of the Public Guardian is an independent statutory office with a range of functions and powers in relation to an Adult with impaired capacity.

The Public Guardian may investigate complaints and allegations about the actions of an attorney, guardian or administrator or another person acting or purporting to act under a power of attorney, advance health directive or order of the QCAT.

The Public Guardian has the power to suspend the operation of all or some of an attorney’s power for an adult if the Public Guardian suspects, on reasonable grounds, that the attorney is not competent.

More information about the Public Guardian’s investigations process, how to report abuse and the other functions and powers of the Public Guardian can be found on the Public Guardian's website.

2. What you need to know

You only need to complete this form if you are applying to QCAT for an order concerning the validity of an enduring document.  An enduring document is an enduring power of attorney or an advance health directive.

You must: attach copies of all known current and former enduring documents (e.g. enduring power of attorney or advance health directive) or provide details of where the Tribunal can obtain them.

3. Complete and lodge this form:

To apply you must complete and lodge:

Form 12 - Application for miscellaneous matters - Guardianship and Administration Act 2000

This form is to be completed relating to an application for miscellaneous matters – Guardianship and Administration Act 2000.

PDF File (1.4 MB)

Health professional report – Guardianship and Administration Act 2000

Form to be completed by medical and related health professionals to provide expert opinion about an Adult’s capacity to make decisions.

PDF File (438.4 KB)

4. How to lodge your application

In person

Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal
Floor 11, 259 Queen Street
Brisbane Qld 4000

or at any local Magistrates Court

Mail to

Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal
GPO Box 1639
Brisbane Qld 4001

5. What happens next?

Find out what happens after you apply.