Apply for permission to be represented in a matter

Information on how to complete an online form to seek permission to be represented.

Minor civil dispute cases lodged in Brisbane are now done through QCAT's new online portal called QCase. This portal allows you to apply for permission to be represented directly in the system.

For MCD cases lodged outside of Brisbane AND all other types of QCAT cases, please continue to use the process below.

Usually, parties involved in QCAT matters must represent themselves. The tribunal will only allow someone else to represent you if it is in the interest of justice.

You can apply to QCAT for permission for a solicitor or someone else to act on your behalf and represent you if required, e.g. an advocate for a person with impaired capacity.

Permission to be represented in a QCAT matter

Who can use this form?

If you are an applicant, respondent or an active party in a proceeding before QCAT, you can use this form.

Who can’t use this form?

If you are an entity (e.g. a state government agency, corporation, association, partnership or trust), and you can only appear at QCAT through a specified person, please write to us, setting out:

  • the parties’ names
  • the case number
  • the name and position of the person you want to appear for you
  • the reasons why QCAT should give that person permission to appear on your behalf.

Please note, entities seeking permission for a solicitor or government legal officer to represent them should not fill in this form.

People who do not need permission

Some parties can be represented without asking for our permission. You do not need to ask for permission if you are a:

  • person with impaired capacity
  • child
  • party to a disciplinary proceeding, including a review of a disciplinary decision
  • party to a proceeding where a law or rule states you can be represented.

How to complete this form

This is Form 56 under the Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal Act 2009 .

To complete this form you will need:

  • your case number
  • the respondent’s name (if applicable)
  • your representative’s contact details.

What happens next?

This form can be submitted to QCAT electronically. Your application is not filed until we seal it (i.e. stamp it with the official QCAT stamp). We will email you a sealed copy at the address you provide.

You must serve (or give) a sealed copy of your application to each party as soon as possible.

If your application relates to a guardianship matter, you do not need to serve each active party.

The tribunal will consider your application and all parties will be notified of the decision in writing.

Protecting your privacy

We collect your contact details to ensure QCAT proceedings comply with the Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal Act 2009 . We may contact you to help evaluate QCAT operations. You do not have to participate in feedback or surveys. If you do participate, no identifying information will be published. We will not disclose your contact details or any other personal information to a third party unless required by law.