Application for retirement village dispute mediation (Step 2 of dispute process)

1. Before you apply to QCAT for a mediation

If you cannot resolve your dispute through negotiation in step 1 of the three step process, you may apply to QCAT to refer the dispute to mediation.

Before you apply ensure you have considered the information above about retirement village disputes, that you understand the QCAT process and that you have considered alternative options to resolve your dispute.

Before you apply you should also consider if you can apply to QCAT directly for a hearing without participating in the three step process as set out above.

2. Complete and lodge an application

To make an application for a retirement village dispute mediation, complete and lodge the form below. Carefully read the form instructions, answer each question and tick an appropriate box when prompted.

You must pay the appropriate fee for requesting a QCAT mediation (Step 2) – (Credit card authorisation form for mail payments)

You must pay the application fee for each step of the process.

No results were found

3. Naming parties in retirement village disputes

Naming multiple parties

When a retirement village dispute arises there may be multiple residents (sometimes over 100) who wish to join as applicants to the dispute or who are named as respondents to the dispute.

When this occurs a list should be created which contains the details of the relevant residents. The list of parties must not include shortened names or initials.

If a resident or scheme operator is making a dispute application against multiple residents, a list should be created with the first and last name included of each resident the application is against.

If multiple residents wish to bring an application together, a list should also be created with the first name, last name and signature included of each resident who wishes to be a party to the application.

Elect a spokesperson

When there is a large number of applicants or respondents, residents should elect a spokesperson/people to speak on their behalf.

Electing a spokesperson in a retirement village dispute where there are many parties assists QCAT to manage the dispute for the following reasons:

  • Correspondence from the registry can be sent to a central person/people within the retirement village
  • Enquiries to the registry are made by the spokesperson rather than multiple parties
  • Consistency and efficiency of information being provided is maintained as one central spokesperson/people receives case information

In circumstances where QCAT is uncertain of the names of the residents or spokesperson this will be clarified at the commencement of the hearing process and parties joined to the proceeding if required.

If parties seek to have a legal or other representative appointed to appear on their behalf, permission from QCAT must be requested by the parties via an application. You can learn more about appearance and representation here (link).

4. How to lodge your application

When filing an application in relation to a retirement village dispute you are required to file the application and supporting material along with two copies in one of the following ways:
In person

Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal
Floor 11, 259 Queen Street
Brisbane Qld 4000

or at any local Magistrates Court 

Mail to

Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal
GPO Box 1639
Brisbane Qld 4001

Your application is not filed until it is sealed by QCAT (i.e. stamp it with the official QCAT stamp). After this has been done, sealed copies of your application will then be sent back to you to give to the other party. You can also keep a copy for your personal records.

5. Giving your application to the other parties

You are required to give a copy of your application and supporting material to the relevant parties named in the application within seven days of receiving the application or as otherwise directed by QCAT.

If there are multiple parties you must give a copy of the application to each of the parties individually (e.g. 30 respondents – Applicant must copy 30 applications).

Visit this page for further information on service requirements.

To prove you have given your application to the other parties, the applicant must complete the affidavit of service for each party and provide a copy to QCAT. You do not need to provide a copy to the other party.

Form 9 - Affidavit of service

The purpose of this form is to prove your application has been served on all other parties. This form must be witnessed by a Justice of the Peace.

PDF File (520.4 KB)

6. What happens next?

Find out what happens after you apply.