What happens after your final hearing?

Understand what options you have after the final hearing.

At the end of the final hearing, QCAT will announce the decision and provide oral or written reasons to the parties for the decision. Below you can learn about what happens after the hearing, what happens if the decision is reserved, and options for enforcement or appealing a decision with which you disagree.

What happens after the final decision is delivered?

Once QCAT delivers your final decision, the parties must abide by it. If you do not agree with the decision, you may be able to appeal the decision.

What happens if my decision was reserved?

If the QCAT decision-maker needs time to consider the matter or to gather more information, they may reserve their decision. This means all parties will receive QCAT’s written decision and reasons at a later date, after the hearing.

The QCAT Reserved Decisions Policy governs reserved decisions and how parties may enquire about the progress of a reserved decision .

As set out in the Policy, QCAT decision-makers endeavour to deliver decisions (with reasons) within three (3) months of each decision being reserved.

When will I receive the decision from QCAT?

After the decision has been delivered, a copy of the decision will be sent to you by mail or email.

The decision will usually include reasons for the decision with an 'appeals information notice' also included. This sets out your appeal rights and provides other helpful information.

Important information you need to know after the final hearing

After the final hearing, there is important information you need to know including:

Queensland State Courts and Tribunals, including QCAT, are courts of record. Proceedings are usually recorded and a written transcript of the proceedings may be produced.

All proceedings are recorded in compliance with the Recording of Evidence Act 1962.

DJAG has moved to a new way of delivering recording and transcription services across Queensland Courts and Tribunals

For further information please refer to the recording and transcription page on the Queensland Courts website.

Sometimes you may not receive reasons with certain decisions. If a QCAT decision-maker has not provided reasons for their decision, you can request reasons for a decision via our online service.

To apply for reasons for the decision online please click here

You should apply for reasons for a decision within 14 days from when the decision takes effect. This is usually the date the decision is made (unless the decision says otherwise).

Please be aware that QCAT does not have to give reasons for some procedural directions or decisions in a matter. This includes decisions to consolidate, separate or hear and decide proceedings together, and decisions to amend time limits or waive compliance with procedural requirements in a matter.

In civil proceedings all reasons for a decision are published unless orders are made for non-publication.

To learn more about why reasons for decision are published click here

At the end of a proceeding, QCAT makes their final decision, or an agreement is reached by the parties. The decision may include an order for one or all parties to do something, or to stop acting in a particular way.

If the other party does not comply with any aspect of a QCAT order, you can seek to have the order enforced.

In Queensland, enforcement proceedings are decided in the courts and the type of order you wish to enforce, be it monetary or non-monetary, determines the court to which you apply.

To learn more about enforcement proceedings and the process you need to follow click here

QCAT can decide to award costs in some matters, if it is in the interests of justice to do so.

If you believe you should be awarded costs in your matter, you can apply to QCAT to request costs be awarded in your favour before a proceeding ends or after the final decision has been made.

Learn more about the costs process and how to make an application for costs here.

If you do not agree with a QCAT decision

If you do not agree with a QCAT decision, there are options available to you. There are strict time limits for making the below applications. If you do not agree with the final decision, you can:

In limited circumstances, parties can appeal a QCAT decision to either the Queensland Civil Administrative Appeal Tribunal or the Court of Appeal. When appealing a QCAT decision, the appeal process and eligibility to appeal differ depending on the type of decision that has been made.

Before lodging an appeal, please check the relevant law to determine if you can appeal a decision, the appeal forum, time limits , what fees you must pay and the application process.

Learn more about appealing a decision and the application process here.

You can ask QCAT to consider reopening your matter. QCAT will only consider reopening a matter in certain circumstances where a ground for reopening exists.

For example, if you had a reasonable excuse for not attending the hearing, there may be a ground for reopening the matter if you would suffer a substantial injustice by not being able to present significant new evidence in your matter at hearing.

There are fees and time limits associated with this type of application.

Learn more about asking to reopen a matter and the reopening application process here

In some situations, it may not be possible for the QCAT decision to be complied with. There may also be problems with interpreting, implementing or enforcing the decision. In this case, a party involved in the matter may apply to QCAT for a renewal of the decision.

If you ask QCAT to renew the decision, QCAT may make the same decision or make a new decision.

A renewed decision is enforceable as a final decision of QCAT.

There are fees and time limits associated with this type of application.

Learn more about asking to renew a matter and the renewal application process here.

If you notice a clear written mistake in a final decision, you can ask QCAT to consider making a correction to fix the mistake.

You can also ask QCAT to make amendments to a settlement agreement if all parties consent to the proposed amendment.

If you make either application, it is important that you seek the views of the other parties to the decision or agreement and you include clear reasons why the correction or amendment should be made.

You should not apply to correct a decision or amend a settlement agreement just because you are unhappy with the outcome.

You must complete FORM 43 - Application for reopening, correction, renewal or amendment.

Return to Case Type?

Find more information about your previously viewed case type.

Help and further information

For Legal advice:

* Contact the private solicitor of your choice

* Use Queensland Law Society’s Find a Solicitor service.

* Contact Legal Aid Queensland on 1300 65 11 88

* Contact Community Legal Centres Queensland for details on your local community legal centre on 07 3392 0092

For assistance in legal proceedings:

LawRight Court and QCAT Services

LawRight is an independent, non-profit community based legal organisation that coordinates pro bono legal services for individuals and community groups. Parties with proceedings in QCAT may be able to obtain assistance from LawRight’s Court & Tribunal Services to self-represent or in limited circumstances, be given representation.

If you are unsure if you are eligible for assistance from LawRight or wish to make an enquiry, contact the service by phone on 07 3564 7561 or by email at qcat.cts@lawright.org.au or by writing to PO Box 12217, George Street QLD 4003.

To apply for help from LawRight, please complete the application form here. If you are unable to complete the online form, contact LawRight to discuss alternative arrangements

Community legal centres

Caxton Legal Centre
The Caxton Legal Centre is an independent, non-profit community organisation providing free legal and social work advice, assistance and referrals to the general public. Please note that the Caxton Legal Centre does not provide advice about building or other business and commercial disputes.

Women's Legal Service
Women's Legal Service is a community legal centre that provides free legal advice and information to women in Queensland.

Youth Advocacy Centre
The Youth Advocacy Centre offers free confidential legal and welfare assistance to young people under 17 years who live in or around Brisbane. Telephone support is also provided to young people outside of Brisbane and through

The Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal (QCAT)’s registry is here to administer your matter and provide general information. Please see below what registry staff can and cannot do to assist with your matter.

Registry staff can:

* answer questions about QCAT processes

* provide information about QCAT’s different types of forms that are available for your consideration

* provide you with information and support about how to lodge an application

* refer and/or process any request to access the QCAT register of proceedings (a publicly available list of QCAT cases) or the record of proceedings (the case files themselves)

* advise on fees and allowances, and how to apply for a waiver of fees

* guide you in checking your forms are complete before lodgement (e.g. signed in the correct places)

* give you information on legal organisations that could help.

Registry staff cannot:

* provide legal advice

* advise on whether you should submit an application and whether you are filing under the correct legal area (eg minor civil dispute – consumer or trader or minor civil dispute – minor debt)

* tell you if you should lodge an appeal or a counter-application

* recommend a specific lawyer to assist you

* instruct you on how to word your application, supporting documents or what to say at a proceeding

* contact a QCAT member or adjudicator directly on your behalf

* predict likely outcomes of a case or appeal

* help you prepare your case

* advise what orders or decisions you should seek

* explain what you should do to follow QCAT directions

* recommend your next steps regarding enforcing an order or tribunal decision

* advise on exact timeframes for resolution of a matter – this depends on your individual matter