Financial loss caused by a property agent

If you have suffered a financial loss because of the actions of property agents, residential letting agents or real estate salespersons, you may make a claim against the Claim Fund.

If you would like to make a claim against the Claim Fund, contact the Office of Fair Trading who will investigate your case.

The chief executive of the Department of Justice and Attorney-General will then decide your claim or refer it to QCAT.

In some circumstances you may be able to apply to QCAT to extend the time to make a claim or seek review of a decision of the chief executive. The decision to extend the time will be determined by the tribunal.  You may wish to get legal advice in relation to your legal rights. Apply using Form 42 - Application to extend or shorten a time limit or for waiver of compliance with procedural requirement (PDF, 319.6 KB).


Queensland legislation related to property agents includes the:

  • Agents Financial Administration Act 2014
  • Property Occupations Act 2014 
  • Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal Act 2009.

The Acts are available from the Office of the Queensland Parliamentary Counsel


Decisions about property agents made by: