Financial loss caused by a debt collector

If you have suffered a financial loss because of the actions of a debt collector, you may make a claim against the Claim Fund.

If you would like to make a claim against the Claim Fund, contact the Office of Fair Trading who will investigate your case.

The chief executive of the Department of Justice and Attorney-General will then decide your claim or refer it to QCAT.

In some circumstances you may be able to apply to QCAT to extend the time to make a claim or seek review of a decision of the chief executive. The decision to extend the time will be determined by the tribunal.  You may wish to get legal advice in relation to your legal rights. Apply using Form 42 - Application to extend or shorten a time limit or for waiver of compliance with procedural requirement (PDF, 738.1 KB).


Queensland legislation related to motor dealers includes the:

  • Agents Financial Administration Act 2014
  • Debt Collectors (Field Agents and Collection Agents) Act 2014 
  • Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal Act 2009.

The Acts are available from the Office of the Queensland Parliamentary Counsel.


Decisions about debt collectors made by: