Guardianship for adults - QCAT Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal

Skip links and keyboard navigation

Guardianship for adults

Guardianship for adults matters

A guardian is a person QCAT appoints to help an adult with impaired decision making capacity. The guardian ensures the adult’s needs are met and interests are protected by making certain personal and health care decisions on their behalf.

Generally, guardians can be given the authority to make decisions for the adult such as:

Guardians are not permitted to make decisions about:

  • financial or property matters unless they have also been appointed as the adult's administrator or as attorney for financial matters under an enduring power of attorney
  • special health care matters including sterilisation or tissue donation
  • special personal matters including making or revoking a will, consenting to marriage or relinquishing a child for adoption.

If an adult can communicate their views and wishes, guardians should take these into account when making any decisions.

If you have been appointed as a guardian, you can find out more information about the guardianship process and requirements by contacting the Office of the Public Guardian.

Descriptions of QCAT's jurisdiction on this website are general information only. They do not definitively describe the types of applications on which QCAT can make decisions. The relevant legislation determines QCAT's jurisdiction. If you are unsure about your legal rights, you should seek legal advice. Your individual circumstances should guide any actions taken to resolve your dispute.

What's the difference?

What's the difference between a guardian and an administrator? Find out in this video produced with Carers Queensland.

We cannot provide legal advice

As part of an independent tribunal, QCAT registry staff cannot provide legal advice.

Registry staff can explain and answer questions about how QCAT works and its processes.

Registry staff cannot help with:

* whether or not you should submit an application
* whether your application is under the correct jurisdiction
* if you should lodge an appeal or a counter-application
* recommending a specific lawyer to assist you
* how to word your application, supporting documents or what to say at a proceeding
* contacting a QCAT member or adjudicator directly
* predicting likely outcomes of a case or appeal
* helping you to prepare your case
* advising what orders/decisions you should seek
* explaining what you should do to follow QCAT directions
* enforcing an order or decision of the tribunal
* advising exact timeframes for resolution of a matter – this depends on your individual matter.

Last reviewed
10 April 2019
Last updated
10 April 2019

Rate this page

  1. How useful was the information on this page?