Matter types

View matter types to see if your type of dispute is covered by QCAT.


Complaints of alleged sexual harassment and discrimination and associated objectionable behaviour including racial and religious vilification and victimisation. Also granting exemptions, reviewing decisions made by the Commissioner and providing opinions related to anti-discrimination matters.

Building disputes

Domestic and commercial building disputes, disciplinary proceedings and reviews of decisions by the Queensland Building and Construction Commission and registered adjudicator decisions.

Children and young people

Child protection matters, adoption applications, blue card applications, prohibiting a person from entering an educational facility.

Clinical Research

The Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal (QCAT) may approve clinical research, which seeks to include persons with impaired decision making capacity.

Consumer and trader disputes

Disputes valued up to and including $25,000 arising out of a contract for the supply of goods and services including the repair of a defect in a motor vehicle.

Debt disputes

Disputes against another person, business or company about a fixed or agreed sum of money valued up to and including $25,000 (excluding interest) e.g. a debt resulting from overhanging branches, an IOU or money lent and not repaid.

Decision-making for Adults with impaired capacity

QCAT can make decisions about decision-making for adults with impaired capacity, including financial decisions (administrators) and personal and health decisions (guardians).

Minor civil disputes

Disputes valued up to and including $25,000 (excluding interest) including debt disputes, consumer disputes, residential tenancy disputes, property damage disputes and dividing fence disputes.

Motor vehicle disputes

Motor vehicle disputes up to $100,000 for new and old vehicles with numerous defects that reoccur despite multiple repair attempts or where defects have caused a motor vehicle to be out of service for a prolonged period of time.

Other civil disputes

Tree disputes, body corporate and community management scheme disputes, financial losses caused by motor and property agents, integrated resort development matters, legal cost agreement claims, manufactured home park disputes, retirement village disputes and Sanctuary Cove Resort disputes.

Occupational regulation

Disciplinary proceedings and licencing decisions for architects, building personnel, health practitioners, introduction agents, legal practitioners, motor dealers, nursing practitioners, plumbers and drainers, prescribed persons who are public servants or police officers, professional engineers, property agents, racing personnel, second-hand dealers and pawnbrokers, security providers, surveyors, tattooists and tattoo business operators, teachers, tour operators, travel agents, valuers and veterinary surgeons.

Residential tenancy disputes

A wide range of disputes between tenants, landlords (lessors) or agents and residents, providers of, or agents for rooming accommodation.

Review of administrative decisions

Decisions made by government agencies and other bodies including statutory authorities.

Special health care

Some medical procedures and health care require consent from the Supreme Court or QCAT.

QCAT and the courts

There will be occasions where the interests of justice mean that a matter started in QCAT should be transferred to a court.

This may be decided because the subject matter would be more appropriately dealt with by a court or QCAT does not have the appropriate authority to complete the proceedings related to the matter.

QCAT is able to transfer the proceedings to the relevant court either by application by the parties or on its own initiative. The courts are also able to transfer an appropriate matter to QCAT.

Jurisdictions not included in QCAT

A number of significant bodies that make civil or administrative decisions were not amalgamated into QCAT and not are not within QCAT jurisdiction:

  • the Mental Health Review Tribunal and the Mental Health Court
  • bodies making decisions about development or planning and environment issues including the Planning and Environment Court, the Land Court and the Building and Development Tribunals
  • industrial dispute bodies including the Industrial Court, the Queensland Industrial Relations Commission and the review functions of the Public Service Commission.

Help and FAQs

As part of an independent tribunal, QCAT registry staff cannot provide legal advice.

QCAT registry staff are not involved in the decision-making of the Tribunal.  If you want the Tribunal  to make a decision about something, you must ask the Tribunal to do so by completing and lodging the appropriate application form.

Registry staff can explain and answer questions about how QCAT works and its processes.

Registry staff cannot help with:

  • whether or not you should submit an application
  • whether your application is under the correct jurisdiction
  • if you should lodge an appeal or a counter-application
  • recommending a specific lawyer to assist you
  • how to word your application, supporting documents or what to say at a proceeding
  • contacting a QCAT member or adjudicator directly
  • predicting likely outcomes of a case or appeal
  • helping you to prepare your case
  • advising what orders/decisions you should seek
  • explaining what you should do to follow QCAT directions
  • enforcing an order or decision of the tribunal
  • advising exact timeframes for resolution of a matter – this depends on your individual matter.