1. Before you apply to QCAT

There may be legislative requirements you need to comply with before you make an application to QCAT about your urgent tenancy dispute. However, there is no requirement for parties to attempt conciliation through RTA prior to filing with QCAT.

For more information about what steps you may need to consider before filing an urgent tenancy application with QCAT, please refer to the Residential Tenancies Authority (RTA) website here.

2. Complete and lodge online (Brisbane only)

If you live in Brisbane, QCAT now offers an online portal for you to securely file applications, referrals or documents electronically, view, manage and respond to your residential tenancy case. This fully-digital case management system makes filing and managing your case easier and more accessible by allowing you to:

  • view case information and documents 24 hours a day, 7 days a week; access via desktop, laptop, mobile phone, and tablet
  • receive case updates and notifications in real time
  • lodge documents any time on any day of the week.

QCase online portal

3. Complete and lodge this form manually

If you live outside of Brisbane, or you cannot access the online portal, you can complete and lodge the application for residential tenancy dispute form listed below. Carefully read the form instructions, answer each question and tick an appropriate box when prompted.

When you apply, you must ensure:

  • the urgent order you are seeking is clearly identified in the form (see section 415 of the Residential Tenancies and Rooming Accommodation Act 2008 for list of cases considered urgent)
  • a copy of the tenancy/rooming accommodation agreement is attached
  • copies of all relevant documents, including but not limited to contracts, invoices, receipts and colour copies of photographs are included

When filing an application for an urgent tenancy dispute, you are required to file the application and supporting material along with three copies, plus one extra copy for every additional party named in the dispute, in one of the following ways:

In person or via mail to the Magistrates Court nearest to the rental propertyClick here to find a list of Queensland Magistrates Courts.
In person at the Brisbane registry

Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal
Floor 11, 259 Queen Street
Brisbane Qld 4000

Mail to the Brisbane registry

Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal
GPO Box 1639
Brisbane Qld 4001

* Please note that if the application is posted to the Brisbane registry, it will be heard and determined in Brisbane.

You must pay the appropriate fee at the time of lodgement – (Credit card authorisation form for mail payments)

You may make an application for a fee waiver if you are eligible.

Form 2 – Application for minor civil dispute – residential tenancy dispute

The purpose of this form is to ask QCAT to resolve an urgent or a non-urgent tenancy dispute.

PDF File (982.1 KB)

4. Giving your application to the other parties

In tenancy cases, you are not required to serve your sealed initiating application and supporting material on the other parties as QCAT is required to do this under the current law.

QCAT will provide a copy of your application and any attachments to the other parties to the dispute after it has been processed. QCAT will also provide a notice of hearing to each party to the dispute at the same time. You can learn more about this further in the process.

After you have filed your application, any additional material filed after the initiating application in relation to the claim will need to be filed with QCAT and a copy given to all other parties.  This can be done via email, post or in person. QCAT only serves the initiating application on all parties to the dispute.

5. What happens next?

Once QCAT has accepted your application, you will be provided with a case number to keep track of your case.

Find out what happens after you apply.