1. Before you apply to QCAT

You can apply for permission to be represented if you are an applicant, respondent, or active party in a proceeding before QCAT. It is important that parties tell QCAT in detail why they want to be represented.

Before you apply, please ensure you have read the above information and understand the differences between appearance and representation. Please ensure you understand that you do not need QCAT’s permission to get legal advice or assistance.

Before applying you must also ensure the request you are making is clear and concise. You must provide sufficient reasons with supporting material (if required) as to why the request should be granted.

2. Fees

There is no prescribed fee to make this application.

3. Complete and lodge this form

To make an application for permission to be represented by a legal practitioner or other representation, you can click the link below and complete the online form or lodge the appropriate application form below. Carefully read the form instructions, answer each question and tick an appropriate box when prompted.

Form 56 - Application for leave to be represented

The purpose of this form is to ask QCAT for permission to be represented in your matter.

PDF File (729.8 KB)
Apply Online

4. How to lodge your application for representation

When filing your application via our online service you do not need to file any extra copies.

When filing the application in hard copy, you are required to file the application and supporting material along with one copy in one of the following ways:

In person

Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal
Floor 11, 259 Queen Street
Brisbane Qld 4000

or at any local Magistrates Court 

Mail to

Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal
GPO Box 1639
Brisbane Qld 4001

5. Giving your application to other parties

If you file an application for permission to be represented via QCAT’s online service, copies of your application will be sent back to you to serve. You must give a copy of the application to each party and notify QCAT that you have done so.

If you file your application for permission to be represented via hard copy, at the time of filing your application at QCAT, you should also immediately give a copy of the application to the other parties. You must give a copy of the application to each party in the dispute.

You must provide evidence to QCAT that you have given the other parties your application. For example, if you email the application to QCAT ensure you copy the other parties into the email so QCAT can identify you have served all parties.

If you have given your application in hard copy to the other parties, notify QCAT in a cover letter when you file the application with QCAT.

6. What happens next?

After you have submitted your application for representation, QCAT will seek the views of the other parties if you have not already done so.

QCAT will then consider the application and decide whether to grant your request.

Once QCAT has made a decision, QCAT will email or post you a copy of the directions or decision with the outcome.