Skip links and keyboard navigation

Administration for adults

Administration for adults matters

An administrator is a person appointed by QCAT to assist adults with impaired decision making capacity by making certain financial and legal decisions on their behalf. This makes sure that the adult’s needs are met and that their financial interests are protected.

Generally, administrators are given the authority to make decisions on behalf of the adult such as:

  • buying or selling property
  • maintaining property
  • paying bills
  • making business decisions
  • managing investments.

Administrators are not allowed to make decisions about personal or health care matters, unless they have also been appointed as the adult’s guardian or as attorney for personal matters under an enduring power of attorney.

If the adult can communicate their views and wishes administrators should take these into account when making any decisions.

Any description of QCAT's jurisdiction on this website is general information only and is not intended to precisely define the types of applications that QCAT has the power to decide. QCAT's jurisdiction is determined by the relevant legislation. If you are unsure about your legal rights you should seek legal advice. Any actions taken to resolve your dispute should be determined by your individual circumstances.
Last reviewed
21 March 2012
Last updated
24 September 2012

Rate this page

  1. How useful was the information on this page?