Skip links and keyboard navigation

Building disputes

Before you make an application

Parties are required to participate in a dispute resolution process with the Queensland Building and Construction Commission (QBCC) before making a commercial or domestic building dispute application to QCAT. 

A letter from the QBCC advising of the outcome of this process must be provided when commencing a QCAT application. Applications cannot be accepted at QCAT without this letter from the QBCC.

Building disputes

QCAT decides disputes related to building activities including:

QCAT also reviews decisions made by:

If you wish to make a complaint against a builder please contact the Queensland Building and Construction Commission

QCAT is separate to the Building and Development Dispute Resolution Committees which review decisions made by the local council or private building certifiers. These decisions are not reviewable by QCAT.

Any description of QCAT's jurisdiction on this website is general information only and is not intended to precisely define the types of applications that QCAT has the power to decide. QCAT's jurisdiction is determined by the relevant legislation. If you are unsure about your legal rights you should seek legal advice. Any actions taken to resolve your dispute should be determined by your individual circumstances.

Tell us about your QCAT experience

We value your feedback. If you have used QCAT services, tell us what you think via our brief online survey.

Last reviewed
9 October 2015
Last updated
30 October 2015

Rate this page

  1. How useful was the information on this page?