Surveyors - QCAT Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal

Skip links and keyboard navigation


The surveying industry is regulated by the Surveyors Board of Queensland (board) which after investigating a complaint is able to refer a matter about a registered surveyor to a professional conduct review panel (panel) or to QCAT.

Disciplinary proceedings

QCAT conducts disciplinary proceedings against surveyors after the complaint has been investigated and referred by the board. Only the board can apply to commence disciplinary proceedings against a surveyor in QCAT.

If QCAT finds that grounds for discipline are established the tribunal may:

  • issue an advice, caution or reprimand to the surveyor
  • require the surveyor to pay a fine to the board and/or correct at their own expense any work which QCAT believes to be defective
  • impose conditions on the surveyor’s registration
  • suspend the surveyor’s registration or registration endorsement for not more than three years
  • cancel the surveyor’s registration or registration endorsement
  • impose conditions under which the surveyor may reapply for registration
  • order the surveyor to do anything else the tribunal considers appropriate
  • order the surveyor to stop doing anything else the tribunal considers inappropriate.

Review of the board’s or a panel’s decision

QCAT is able to review decisions made by the board or a panel including decisions:

  • refusing to grant an application for registration or a registration endorsement
  • refusing to grant an application for renewal or restoration of a registration or registration endorsement
  • amending, suspending or cancelling a registration or registration endorsement
  • ordering particular disciplinary action.

Apply for a review of the board’s or panel’s decision.

Descriptions of QCAT's jurisdiction on this website are general information only. They do not definitively describe the types of applications on which QCAT can make decisions. The relevant legislation determines QCAT's jurisdiction. If you are unsure about your legal rights, you should seek legal advice. Your individual circumstances should guide any actions taken to resolve your dispute.

If you are seeking a review of an authority's decision, generally you must apply within 28 days of the decision being made. There are exceptions to this rule - check your information notice about the specific time limit in your case.

Last reviewed
9 November 2011
Last updated
27 March 2012

Rate this page

  1. How useful was the information on this page?