Important links - QCAT Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal

Skip links and keyboard navigation

Important links

Australian Guardianship and Administration Council
AGAC member organisations have a role in protecting adults who have a disability that impairs their capacity to make decisions and manage their own affairs.

Carers Queensland
Carers Queensland is the peak body that represents the interests of carers in Queensland. Carers Queensland’s Family Support and Advocacy program provides carers with free support, information, advice and representation.

Department of Communities, Disability Services and Seniors
The Department of Communities, Disability Services and Seniors helps people with a disability and their families to access a range of supports and services they need as they move through the different stages of their life.

Mental Health Review Tribunal
The role of the Mental Health Review Tribunal is to review persons subject to the Mental Health Act 2000 to make sure that the involuntary processes of assessment, treatment and detention of people with mental illness are properly applied.

Office of the Public Advocate
The Office of the Public Advocate is an independent statutory body established to protect and promote the rights, autonomy and participation of people with impaired decision-making capacity.

Office of the Public Guardian - for adults
The Office of the Public Guardian is an independent statutory body that protects the rights and interests of vulnerable Queenslanders, including adults with impaired capacity to make their own decisions. The Public Guardian can also be the guardian of last resort for adults who have nobody else to be their guardian.

The Office of the Public Guardian offers free advice on the guardianship process and meeting legislative requirements.

Community Visitor Program staff visit facilities such as hostels to make sure that the interests of adults with impaired decision making capacity are promoted and their rights are protected.

The Public Trustee
The Public Trustee of Queensland can act as a person's decision maker for financial and some legal matters either under an order from QCAT or the Supreme Court of Queensland, or as an attorney under an enduring power of attorney.

Descriptions of QCAT's jurisdiction on this website are general information only. They do not definitively describe the types of applications on which QCAT can make decisions. The relevant legislation determines QCAT's jurisdiction. If you are unsure about your legal rights, you should seek legal advice. Your individual circumstances should guide any actions taken to resolve your dispute.

Last reviewed
10 April 2019
Last updated
10 April 2019

Rate this page

  1. How useful was the information on this page?