Dividing fence application

Application process for lodging dividing fence disputes with QCAT.

Types of dividing fence matters

There are two types of matters relating to dividing fences:

  • minor civil dispute - dividing fences
  • minor civil dispute - debt dispute. If your matter relates to recovering a debt for fencing work based on an agreed amount (up to $25,000 excluding interest), your dispute is a minor debt. See debt disputes for more information on the minor debt application process.

Lodging your application

1. Please complete Form 53 - Application for minor civil dispute - dividing fences (PDF, 833.3 KB). Note:  Please read the application checklist at the back of the form prior to making an application.

Note:   If your matter relates to recovering a minor debt resulting from an agreed amount (up to $25,000 excluding interest) for fencing work, go to debt disputes to proceed with your application.

2. Lodge your application and supporting documents and pay the relevant application fee at QCAT in Brisbane or a Queensland Magistrates Court.

What happens next?

Once your application and forms are received and reviewed, QCAT will return to you copies of your application and forms stamped with the QCAT seal (official stamp). The progress of your matter depends on your individual circumstances.

For more information on your requirements regarding serving copies of sealed applications, please refer to the instructions on the application form.

Resolving the dispute through QCAT

You may receive a notice to attend mediation or a hearing. Access more information on types of proceedings and a fact sheet on mediation of minor civil disputes - fencing matters (PDF, 347.9 KB).

The Neighbourhood Disputes (Dividing Fences and Trees) Act 2011 provides a number of options for resolving dividing fence disputes. See the Queensland Government’s website for more information.