What happens at a hearing

The following information may help if you need to attend a QCAT proceeding such as a hearing, mediation or compulsory conference.

How will I know if I need at attend a proceeding?

You will receive a notice in the mail advising you of the time and location of the proceeding.

Where will my proceeding be held?

Check the notice you have been sent about the proceeding you need to attend: if you are outside of Brisbane, you may need to attend at your local courthouse.

What if I am unable to attend the scheduled proceeding?

If you are unable to attend a directions hearing, mediation or compulsory conference you must let QCAT know as soon as possible before the scheduled date. Please contact the QCAT registry at the location where your proceeding is being held as outlined in your notice.

If you are unable to attend a hearing the tribunal may continue with the hearing and make decisions in your absence.

Can someone attend the proceeding on my behalf?

If there is a good reason why you cannot come to the proceeding, you can ask the tribunal for permission for someone to come on your behalf. You can apply for permission to be represented in a QCAT matter online.

OR you can complete and lodge an Application for leave to be represented  (PDF, 729.8 KB).

Alternatively you may ask for the hearing to be moved to another date.

Do I have to attend in person?

You can apply to attend by telephone online. Completing this form will save you time and you won't need to lodge a hard copy.

OR you can complete and lodge an Application for attendance at hearing, compulsory conference or mediation by remote conferencing (PDF, 531.5 KB).

Further information on attending by phone (known as remote conferencing) is provided in Practice Direction 7 - Proceeding by remote conferencing (PDF, 128.2 KB).

I am hearing impaired. Can you help?

QCAT hearing rooms are equipped with hearing loops to assist those with a hearing aid. If you require this service for your proceeding, or you have a hearing impairment but do not have a hearing aid, please advise your Case Manager or the QCAT registry via QCATOperationsSupport@justice.qld.gov.au

How do I address the QCAT member, adjudicator or Justice of the Peace?

Information on how to address a member or adjudicator is provided in Practice Direction 2014/1 - Hearing Protocols (PDF, 58.2 KB).

The following table provides a summary and examples.

JudgeRefer to the judge as "Your Honour""Yes, your Honour"
Senior MemberRefer to the member as "Senior Member""Yes, Senior Member"
Member (including ordinary members and judicial members)Refer to the member as "Member" followed by their surname"Yes, Member Smith"
AdjudicatorRefer to the adjudicator as Mr/Ms/Mrs"Yes, Mr Jones"
Justices of the PeaceRefer to the Justices of the Peace as Mr/Ms/Mrs"Yes, Mrs Jones"

What do I need to know about the hearing?

Information on protocols for hearings is provided in Practice Direction 2014/1 - Hearing Protocols (PDF, 58.2 KB).

For example, at the start of the proceeding, parties will be asked to state their full name, in what capacity they are appearing and the party or parties they represent (if that is the case).

Application for leave to be represented onli