QCAT conducts disciplinary proceedings against professional engineers after the complaint has been investigated and referred by the Board of Professional Engineers of Queensland (board). Only the board can apply to commence disciplinary proceedings against a professional engineer in QCAT.
If QCAT finds that grounds for discipline are established the tribunal may:
- take no further action against the professional engineer
- issue a reprimand to the professional engineer
- impose conditions on the professional engineer’s registration
- suspend the professional engineer’s registration for a stated period
- cancel the professional engineer’s registration
- require the professional engineer to pay a fine
- order that if the professional engineer does not pay the amount of a fine within the stated period, suspend their registration
- disqualify the professional engineer for a stated period of time or permanently from obtaining a registration.
Review of the board’s decision
QCAT is able to review decisions made by the board regarding disciplinary and licensing issues including decisions:
- not taking any further action about the complaint
- cautioning or reprimanding a professional engineer
- refusing an application for a professional engineer’s registration or renewal or restoration of registration
- not accepting an application for renewal or restoration of a professional engineer’s registration
- imposing conditions on a professional engineer’s registration
- immediately suspending a professional engineer’s registration
- cancelling a professional engineer’s registration
- ordering a professional engineer to undergo a health assessment.
Descriptions of QCAT's jurisdiction on this website are general information only. They do not definitively describe the types of applications on which QCAT can make decisions. The relevant legislation determines QCAT's jurisdiction. If you are unsure about your legal rights, you should seek legal advice. Your individual circumstances should guide any actions taken to resolve your dispute.